Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The other day, I was missionary shopping with my mom. We went to a store that also sells dresses for dances. While I was trying on clothes for my mission, two other girls were trying on beautiful dresses for their homecoming dance. We all talked to each other and gave opinions on clothes and dresses. I don't remember how we got on the topic, but the worker was telling us a shocking fact that made my heart break.

She said that they sell mostly sizes 0-2 during BOYS CHOICE dances. They don't sell hardly any of the other sizes. Then during the GIRLS CHOICE dances, they sell the rest of the sizes. They have to consider that when ordering dresses as well.

How sad is that?

We live in a world where we say size doesn't matter, then we act differently. Every girl deserves to be asked by a boy to a dance, regardless of her gosh dang dress size! Throughout high school, I ranged from a size 8 to a size 10. I did get to go to every dance, but there were other girls that only got to go to girls choice. They would always say that it didn't bug them, but I could see their hearts breaking as they talked about it.

I just want to say to every single boy out there, I know that that size 2 girl is beautiful, but maybe consider asking another girl, because honestly every girl is beautiful. You could make her life so much better. I challenge everyone, not just boys, to look more into the heart of people. Past their outer looks. It truly is what is inside that matters. One year in high school, the seminary theme was "look on the heart". Even if you aren't religious, that is such an amazing principle to remember.

Trust me, I'm not perfect with not looking solely on peoples looks, but what that worker said to me opened my eyes. We shouldn't think of how attractive our date will look in all the pictures, we should think about how they'll make us feel while at the dance, and if you'll be able to have fun with them.

We are all children of our Heavenly Father, and we were created in his image. We are all beautiful, and handsome in our own ways.

Sorry that my post is so scatter-brained and random (at least I feel like it is). This is all new to me, putting my thoughts out for everyone to read! I hope that whatever I put can help someone, even if it's just one person! Thank you for reading this crazy blog! You're beautiful/handsome/straight up awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment